So, you are in the market for new countertops and you feel a little overwhelmed at the selection? Don’t worry - we have all been there at some point. The good news is that we have taken time to narrow down the basics you need to know to choose between quartz countertops and granite countertops.
What Is Quartz?
While quartz is a 100% natural stone, the quartz countertops are not. They are usually a mix of 95% ground natural quartz with the remaining 5% resins. In recent years quartz has gained popularity with an increasing number of homeowners choosing quartz over other countertop options.
What Is Granite?
Unlike quartz, granite is a 100% natural stone. The granite is mined from quarries around the world, Italy for example, and then cut to shape and polished to the shiny finish you expect with granite countertops. While quartz has gained popularity, some homeowners are still choosing granite for their countertops.
So, now that you know the basic differences between quartz and granite, here are characteristics of both to help you choose which to install in your home.
The appearance of quartz is the main reason it has grown in popularity. The number of variations is growing every day to allow homeowners a new level of customization. Light colors in kitchen countertops is more desirable in today’s market. Additionally, quartz is consistent from slab to slab. This makes it easier to choose a countertop from a small sample, if necessary.
While it does come in a variety of choices, granite patterns are form naturally through the formation process of this stone and light colors are limited. The positive aspect of this is that you have a very natural and classic accent in the room. One thing homeowners should be aware of when selecting a granite slab for their countertops is that there can be a high level of variation from slab to slab. Therefore, it is important to approve each individual slab prior to installation.
As with most countertops, if you have a spill you want to clean it up with soap and water. That’s about it with quartz though. This being a solid, non-porous, surface means you won’t need to seal it on an annual basis.
A daily cleaning with soap and water is preferred with granite. It is a 100% natural stone product which means it is slightly porous. Keep in mind that some acids and oils can cause issues with this countertop and you may experience staining - so use caution. Lastly, to keep your countertop looking new, it's recommended you reseal once a year.
Seems odd but, quartz is a harder product than granite making it more ‘life-resistant.’ It is not a porous product which means that cracking is not something you should worry about. That being said, use caution with hot pans and dishes as quartz is sensitive to excessive heat. Use heat pads at all times to prevent damage.
Granite is a very durable product. It can handle those extreme heat differences and stands up to many other kitchen elements that could be damaging to most other countertops. The main concern is liquids and the stains they might leave behind.
Quartz & Granite
As with most products, the cost depends on the quality and the color you’re choosing. With both quartz and granite, there are extensive options which puts the price range anywhere between $45 and $85 per square foot. Over the last few years the price gap has narrowed between the two products making them comparable when considering your budget.
After considering these characteristics of quartz and granite you can see that each of them have their own strengths and weaknesses, but it’s had to say if one is better than the other. It really depends on your use and preferences. Need something more durable and custom? Explore quartz. Need something more heat resistant and classic? Explore granite.
Either way, Lemongrass Interiors has relationships with area suppliers of both quartz and granite to source the perfect color, style, and slab for your project. Are you considering a remodel, right in the middle of one, or starting new construction? Let’s chat about your options and how we can help.